Re: SS fuel tank filler neck- Plastic tank

At 02:33 PM 5/1/2000 , Daun Yeagley wrote:

>--- Nigel Heron <nigel@psycode.com> wrote:
> >

> > Ian Overholt wrote:
> >
> > > I thought all the later roccos had plastic fuel tanks.
> > I know my '88 16v
> > > has one.  I would ASSume that all fuel tanks after
> > '84.5 were the same, but
> > > I'm not sure of that.
> > >

> > i thought all roccos came w/ metal tanks, my 85&86 8vs
> > have metal ones.
> > Wasn't the 16v recall for metal tanks cracking at the
> > seam?
> >
> > -nigel.
>
>Yep - my '88 has a 6 month old tank (metal) for that
>reason.  The odd thing is VW had taken care of it once
>already back in December '91.  Anyone know if there is a
>plastic tank available so I don't have to do it AGAIN in
>ten years when the tanks will be really hard to find?

Um, no.  If I remember correctly, the plastic tanks were all recalled
because they would implode under vacuum-- like if one of the vent hoses got
clogged.  It might rot out, but the metal one's better than the plastic. :)

And my car is on it's 3rd as well, but the 2nd was fine until a Stereo shop
drilled a ground wire for my amp and attached it to the inside of my gas
tank.  Stupid, and very lucky bastards. :)

Jason

1987 Scirocco 16v
1989 Mercedes 190E Sport Euro

http://members.aol.com/rocco16v