Re: [VW-TECH] knock sensor questions

Scott Williams wrote:

> > the "learning" computers started w/ motronic and digifant.
>
> Okay, well I guess that theory goes out the window. Collin Geynes from
> Techonics believes that it might be the solid lifter head making noise. I'd
> thought that this was a long-dispelled urban legend, however it is valid
> according to our man at TT. He recommended cutting a 3/4" diameter aluminum
> rod into a 3/4" long section. Then I should drill it down the center and mount
> it between the engine block and the knock sensor. This will detune the
> sensitivity of the knocksensor in the same manner that VW Motorsports does it.
> -nifty, eh?

if the knock sensor was retarding the timing would the engine buck like that?
wouldn't it just loose power?

did you torque the knock sensor bolt to the right value? i remember seeing
different torque values in different bentleys for different cars (digifant,
cis-e, cis-motronic might all have different torque settings for the knock
sensor)... and don't forget that the torque values are for dry/clean bolts, if you
added anti-seize things change.

what would happen if the knock sensor was unplugged?

> Finding a suitable bit of metal has proven to be hard to do but I'll
> experiment in the meantime with stacked washers. Another thing that I'm going
> to try is adjusting the valve clearances. It is likely that it has gotten
> loose and "clackety" in the 2 years since the last adjustment.

i'll ask my dad if he can find you a piece, it's a 3/4" long 3/4" diameter
cylinder with a hole through the middle, right? shouldn't be hard for him to find.

> I've gotta figure this out in the next week, though. My first event of the
> year is next Saturday!

good luck dude!

what would be cool is a switch that could disable the knock sensor system, then
you could just drop in an older distributor in case things go wrong.

any electrical engineers around? how hard would it be to make a system that uses a
crank trigger at TDC and an inductive pickup on spark plug wire #1 that would give
us a timing reading as we drive?? or maybe 4 triggers on the crank and then we
could use the coil signal instead of the inductive pickup.

-nigel.