16v and CIS-E questions!

List,
	Instead of littering the list with a million or so posts in a week, I
figured I would wait to gather all my questions and list them in one
message :)This is all for my 86 16v car BTW. Here goes:

1. My car has a stumbling/hesitation on acceleration. It goes away when
I disconnect the vacuum input to the "Knock Box" under the rain tray. I
think it's the knock box retarding the timing and detecting
pinging........ But the ignition timing is set to spec, and I'm running
93..... If anyone has any idea's or any problems in the past with
something like this *PLEASE* chime in. (oxygen sensor was replaced about
2k miles ago) *quick add in before I forget* It does this when it starts
warming up, which may place emphasis on the knock sensor or something,
possibly detecting pinging or false pinging. Any ideas? I already tried
swapping out the knock box with a spare, and the spare cured 1/3 of the
problem. (all grounds are clean too,  I made sure of this)

2. Other possible idea is that the previous problem is related to the
fuel mixture and all. I tried removing the built in plug, and ended up
just drilling through the soft top half of it only to hit the hard part
that can't be drilled through on the bottom. I would have no problems
borrowing a test harness, multimeter, and CO meter to set this if I
could get that hard plug out! What must I do to remove this?!

3. Intake: Ok I'm not a riceboy, but I figure since the motor is sucking
up hot engine bay air this is bad.... what can I do to solve this since
the P.O. ripped out the fresh air, and preheat tubing, leaving it open
to the engine bay?

4. My manifold is cracked. This is common with 16v scirocco manifolds as
I understand. The flex joint is also pretty wasted, along with the
gasket between the two. Nasty loud scirocco. Maryland emissions suck,
so  I must keep the catastrophic perverter. Any suggestions on fixing
the manifold and flex joint in the downpipe? Should I just go with a
header that has catalytic provisions? If so, what headers are
reasonabley priced and good.

5. When  I get around to building the new motor and slapping it in, I
want to remove the a/c and power steering. The A/C doesn't work and
although I have a 30lb tank of freeon I don't plan on daily driving the
car after the new motor goes in. The power steering is nice, but I can
deal with losing it for the weight savings, and for making the car that
much easier to work on. When ripping the AC and power steering out I
assume I will have to change to a 1 belt pulley setup further
simplifying things! What pulleys do I need, how do I do this? Can
someone who has done this describe? When getting rid of the power
steering too, does the manual steering rack just bolt right up? Can I
get a manual rack out of any A1?

Any help at all is appreciated and welcomed. Thanks,

--
Gary A. Huff scirocco86@home.com