Re: 86 Scirocco

A lot of people have mentioned fuel system maladies, but this could also be
ignition related.  You should know how to check for proper fuel pump
operation by now.  Are you sure you have spark?  Your ignition system uses a
hall sender to know when to charge the coil.  Often a wire breaks on the
hall sender or the sender goes bad.  The result is like turning off the
ignition.  The car just quits.  Remove a plug and ground the electrode while
someone turns the key.  If you don't have spark, I would be very suspicious
of the hall sender or its wiring.  Also measure the resistance of the coil,
they eventually wear out.

Ian Overholt
'88 16v
'78 Champagne Edition (leaking gas!!)