Hesitation - Control pressure regulator?

I have a particularly annoying problem that I've been living with since I
started driving the 'rocco.  Not long, since I've only been through about
1/4 tank of gas so far...

Anyway, it idles fine at about 1000-1100 rpm.  A little high, but not bad.
I could make it idle at 900 sometime.  When I try to accelerate, it stumbles
and hesitates until I get close to wide open throttle.  It misses everywhere
inbetween.  One of the wires for my WOT enrichment switch is broken, so it's
not affecting anything.

My local parts guy suggested that I need to clean my control pressure
regulator.  He had a similar problem in his Audi, although not as bad, and
this solved it.

Does this sound reasonable?  Any other ideas?  I think I have it timed
correctly, although I'm having a hard time figuring out which mark I'm
supposed to be looking at.  I have new plugs (Bosch 3-electrode), which
aren't fouling, and a new cap/rotor.  I'm not getting any arcing from the
ignition wires so I'm assuming they're fine, although I haven't replaced
them.  I don't think they're a problem anyway, since I'm only missing my
midrange speeds.

TIA!

Aaron
'84 Scirocco - Woo-hoo!