Re: stuck rear suspension bolt

On Sun, 19 Mar 2000, Mark Mages wrote:

> I may be off base, but how about some good penetrating
> oil and a hammer?

Tried it -- I didn't have a replacement bolt handy at the time, so I
couldn't do really heavy hammering. It appears to be so corroded in as to
be unmoveable (though perhaps with enough banging, but we put a lot of
torque on to it, with banging as well).

> There are no threads in the shock
> base so this should work.....

The problem seems to be that the rubber around the inner sleeve (to which
the bolt is bonded) absorbs just about everything. When the new shock goes
in, I'll definitely put some grease on this bolt to prevent this sort of
thing from happening.

> just dont bend the rear
> control arm.  Sounds like more fun than blowtorching..
> well, actually now that I thing about it blowtorching
> does sound like fun.

Actually I had the torch with me, but didn't want to use it because of the
rubber. Oh well...

-Oliver

Oliver Seiler -- Software Developer, Pivotal Software, http://www.pivotal.com
    Scirocco MkII Diary - http://erisian.com/~oseiler/scirocco/index.html