Re: Leaking driveshaft flange (making a mountain)

>I have a leak from my driveshaft flange on the transmission. The boot on
>the inner CV joint is fine but I've got the tell-tale vertical splash of
>oil on the block and firewall so I assume it's the flange cuz there's
>oil there too.  How do I fix this and what parts do I need? TIA
>
>Mike
>83 Scirocco GT

It's the inner drive flange seal that sits at the bottom of the
flange cup and insulates the CV joint from the differential housing.
What you're seeing is transmission oil mixed with CV joint grease.
It can make quite a mess, BTDT. :)  Now is the time to install the
Velocity 80% limited slip differential kit, as my point of view is
that by purchasing a pair of flange seals you get a limited slip
for free. :)  You'll need an 8mm triple square drive tool (set of
four available from Lisle in all finer Pep Boys and it's ilk) to
remove the inner CV joint.  You _might_ be able to get the drive
shafts strung up out of the way enough to remove the transaxle
output flanges to install the diff kit...best way is to remove
the drive axles to get the most working room...more tools needed...
like a 30mm socket for the main axle nut (an impact wrench works
well here, or a massive breaker bar), and don't forget to get two
new axle nuts as they're supposed to be single use only.
Naturally you'll also have to pop off the bearing carrier
from the ball joints to get the clearances to remove the drive shafts...
oh, and you might as well replace those shreaded ball joints while
your at it...oh and it's easier to drill out the original ball
joints while the a-arms are off the car.,.oh, and now would be a
perfect time to replace those whipped rubber a-arm bushings...
oh, and you had to remove the front sway bar, so now would be a
good time to upgrade to a 22mm aftermarket bar...need a new front
wheel bearing?  Now's the time...front rotors?  Front brakes?  Tie-rod
or tie-rod end?  Stainless steel brake lines? Here ya go! Short shift
kit while your under there?  At least do the shift bushings!  Doesn't
your car DESERVE the best! :)

Now, do you _really_ want to fix that little leak? ;-)

I have SOOO been there. Enjoy!

==Brett