Re: Used Transmission

Stephen,

I called around last year for a used one.  It depends on the model.  I got prices from $200 to $800.  Nearly all VW's use the same basic transmission, the big difference between them is the gear ratios of the various speeds.  The next difference is the diameter of the input shaft.   8V uses one, and 16V uses another.  You can overcome this difference by using the corresponding clutch plate.  The last difference to keep in mind is the size of the CV joint drive cuppy-dos.  There are two different sizes, but you can switch those around with your old ones if your replacement 'box is different.

Hope this helps you,

Dan Brideau
http://www.hobbyetc.com/scirocco/