Re: 79 scirocco, GTI???

> I have actually asked this question on the list before because we had a 78
> or 79 MK1 come through our shop that had the GTI emblem on it.  Most of
the
> time it is just someone playing with emblems, but the one that came
through
> our shop fits the description you gave and was shipped over from Germany
by
> a private individual.  IF this is an ACTUAL MK1 GTI, it should be worth
> quite a bit more than the U.S. MK1.  Of course, especially this type of
car
> in the U.S., stock is more valuable so I would do some investigating, find
> out if it is a German MK1 GTI, then do some more investigating and find
out
> what all was offered on them stock.  Then, do your best to get it back to
> stock!!  Low miles is ALWAYS good too!!  BUT, does the odometer have six
> digits or five?  Might have turned over!  Let us all know, sounds fun!!
>
> Dave

I don't know all of the particulars, but I can tell you that the Mk1
Scirocco GTI never officially made it to the states.  I also know that it
didn't have a 1.8 ('79 is too early for a factory 1.8 anyway), it had the
Heron-head 1.6 with 110HP, and I'm pretty sure it came from the factory with
a 5 speed.  The '79 I sold Daun was an S model that I put a SciroccoGTI
badge on.  Autotech used to sell them for about $15.
If it actually was a genuine GTI that somebody put a 1.8 into they destroyed
any collector value the car might have had.

Aaron
'93 Corrado SLC