[Scirocco] Spazzy Idle Question

My (painfully) stock '80 'Roc won't idle at 1000 RPM.  When I set the
idle it will jump up to about 1400 or drop down to about 650, where it
will rattle your fillings out!  I've tried all the tricks that I know to
check for air leaks, including plugging off the accessory vac hoses, but
to no avail.  Many years ago, when I did time as a wrench at a Honda MC
shop, we had Goldwings that did the same sort of thing.  Normally it was
due to the springs on the advancer weights sacking out and not retarding
the ign timing properly at idle.  Has anyone heard of this sort of
problem on Vdubs?  Or is there some typical cause of what I'm describing?
TIA
-kevin in Texas