Re: [16v] boost pressure sensitive pressure control cylinder

"Ryan Schuermann"<rts@nol.net> writes:
> anyone got one? for those of you going "what the darn
> hell is that thing", its the little metal cylinder
> gizmo that screws into the 16v brake master cylinder.
> I seem to have the one at the end but the one near
> the brake booster is missing. Do i really need it?
It is a proportioning valve, there should be one on the M/cyl and one
in-line, right below the brake booster. If you are using the stock
proportioning valve, the boxy piece of metal below the booster with the
rear brake lines running to it.

> my brakes seem to be just fine when using the stock
> m/c off my 81s. I went with the 22mm 16v one to conserver
> engine bay space. now my intercooler actually fits where
> I want it.
Is it a new or rebuilt? Where did you buy it?

> also does anyone know where i can get some brake line
> extension pieces?

You can get the metric double flared lengths of steel line with a
coupling on each end at any import part place. You could just replace the
whole length, doesn't that go from the M/cyl down to the proportioning
block?
Just measure how long you need it and buy the appropriate lines and then
just run the newly bent lines in between the M/cyl and the proportioning
block.
You might want to replace the front lines while you are at it.
I would try to use the stock '81 Scirocco proportioning valve, because
I've had the cylindrical in-line 16V Scirocco proportiong valves leak and
it seems to common.

On my RIP '81 Scirocco S, I ran 16V brakes with a new stock '81 M/cyl,
'81 proportioning block, and it was a great setup, a bigger M/cyl would
be even better.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'84 Scirocco 2.0L
'83 GTI
'80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V, roller for sale, '87 GTI 16V for parts