SCIROCCO 16V Engine problem

Hi!

My friend have a problem with his Scirocco DOHC 16V (Engine code PL)
Engine don't want to start and when finaly it start it runs only at high
rpm (4000)
If you let the pedal off engine is going to stop.
When engine warms a little it runs on his own but at 2300 -3000rpm only
The engine is very weak and it's impossible to drive the car.
>From fuel pump relase the buzzing sound is comming but changing the
relase just aint work out the problem.

The whole thing happened when my friend was driving the engine suddenly
get's weak and finaly stopped

I didn't seen his car (i'm going to do it tommorow)
What should i check ? Maybe someone can help me with it?

TIA

Andrzej

P.S. Sorry for my poor English