the (turbo) Mad Max Rocco lives! (sorta long)

lock up your women, children and hondas,
because the Mad Max rocco is back on the road!
After an embarrassing amount of time putting the turbo
and other things in, I finally drove the roc for real the other
night.
So some of you may not give a damn, but here is a breakdown
of what's on it and a review of certain parts:

'83 rocco

motor:
1.8JH, g-grind cam, autotech adjustable cam sprocket, open
k+n filter on pcv breather, k+n air filter, euro-curve disty, eurosport
plug wires, moroso valve cover (courtesy of honnold), euro oil
filter flange, earl's lines and fittings, mocal (?) 16 row cooler,
cam oil splash guard, oil pan windage tray, low temp fan switch
and thermostat, Redline Water Wetter, golf/16v radiator w/passat
dual fans, port matched intake w/audi 5K TB, eurosport 2" cat back
exhaust with dual outlet magnaflow muffler, and of course, the BAE Turbo
kit.

tranny:
stock 2H, and a velocity limited slip diff on my garage
floor staring at me wondering why it's not in the car.
No short shift kit anymore because it won't clear the turbo pipe.
Redline fluid.

suspension:
Bilstein sports, Ground Control coil-overs with 375lb front/300 rear,
Neuspeed front 22mm and rear 28mm swaybars, Neuspeed front
upper and lower stress bars, Neuspeed rear triangulated stress bar,
delrin front and rear bushings, poly steering rack bushings, vw motorsport
rear trans mount, tt hd front mount, 16x7.5 ABT wheels w/Pirelli P-zero
205-45-zr16s.

brakes:
22mm MC and 16v booster, rocco 16v pedal cluster, velocity braided stainless
lines, ATE super blue fluid, ferodo pads, 11" Corrado calipers (painted
yellow!) and rotors, Momentum brake adaptor kit.
And Speedbleeders on order!

interior:
corrado dash, soon to have full VDO gauges in place of stock
instruments, 16v seats, soon to be replaced with sparco or other,
no back seat, semi-stripped interior, A3 dome light (thanks nate!),
4-point harnesses on the way, italvolanti steering wheel, momo
race air shift knob, cut down shift lever, power door locks and windows.

exterior:
hehehe.....
three different colors including red, black, and primer black,
corrado front bumper, euro headlights, kamei mesh grill,
kamei grill spoiler, 16v antenna, clear euro signals, tinted
rear lights, JE designs rear tailight fill plate, zender GTX rear wing,

So, the BAE turbo is a nice addition to the motor (thanks Kevin!)
It pumps out around 6psi, and since it is designed to produce boost parallel
to the engine rpms, it does not require a wastegate and cannot
be adjusted for more boost.  The kit was easy to install (for the most
part), and I figure on around an additional 35-40 hp.  There is a noticeable
amount of turbo lag, and boost doesn't hit until about 3500 rpms, but
it's damn fun when it does!  I've got a SAAB intercooler waiting to go
in, but I'll be working out some minor bugs first.  The first problem
being that the 2" exhaust is just way too small for the turbo.

The Momentum brake kit was well made, with the exception of
their use of button head allen bolts.  I had a minor problem installing
them, but Momentum was extremely helpful and very courteous
If you are looking to do the corrado brakes conversion, I would recommend
their kit.
So, the final verdict is that the car is pretty quick now, but still
ugly as sin!  (and now it makes cool whooshing noises!)

any questions?  feel free to ask....

Alex Ting
'86 zender z400 rocco
'83 mad max turbo rocco
'97 ducati 748 monoposto

Account Manager
Millennium Solutions Group, Inc.
575 Menlo Dr. #4
Rocklin, CA  95765

Phone:  888.801.2001 ext. 228 or 916.630.2001
Fax:  916.630.2000
email:  alext@nu2u.net
icq #19613213