Re: [now non-roc]Re: Radiator Fan Question

Rusty towmotor? The machines I work on are state of the art, cutting edge
technology. They cost between 15 and 30 thousand dollars apiece. They use
the latest technologies in electronic control, vehicle management, onboard
diagnostics and energy management.  Do you realize that these companies
(Toyota, Mitsubishi, Nissan) have been making electric forklifts for
decades? Where do you think they're getting this technology from. I'm sorry,
but this is not something new. Regenerative braking only redirects unused
energy back into the battery. How can a motor consume energy and also
produce it at the same time? Please, before you tell someone that has been
wortking with this "cutting edge technology" for many years now  that they
are wrong based on an article you read, become a little more informed.

> The article on the Toyota EV I read did detail the regenerative braking
> which _was_ used to reclaim electrical energy which _was_ in turn stored
> in the battery.  If it wasn't used to "re"generate the battery, why would
> it be called regenerative braking?  If you are interested, I will see if I
> can find links with more info.  Remember, this is cutting edge electric
> vehichle technology, not a rusty tow motor in the back warehouse...
> Major automakers are investing millions in this kind of research - in
> search of a real-world ZEV.
>
> Drew
>
> On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Ryan McCarthy wrote:
>
> > Regenerative braking does not charge a battery. I'm an electric forklift
> > mechanic and a great majority of the machinery I work on uses
regenerative
> > braking. What it actually does is just return what has already been
taken.
> > Regen braking actually works when you apply a reverse polarity to the
motor
> > in order to slow the vehicle. Now, when you do that, there's a bunch of
> > energy basically that has nothing to do, nowhere to go. If left with no
> > where to go, it turns into heat. The regen redirects this energy back
into
> > the battery so as not to toast your motor and electronic devices. There
is
> > no charging taking place.  They do, however, use a diode setup that
actually
> > can allow an electric motor to produce some of it's own energy. But,
again,
> > this just lessens the load on the battery, it does not produce any gains
in
> > charge.
> >
> > Sorry, school's over...
> >
> > Ryan M
> >

> > > Current EV technology is exploiting regenerative braking.  The drive
> > > motors, when enagegd will generate electricity to charge the onboard
> > > batteries as the vehicle is slowing down.  The increased load of the
> > > motor-generators serves as a brake for the vehicle.  I believe that
> > > Toyota's current hybrid uses this technology, and perhaps GM's next
> > > generation EV as well?
> > >
> > > I'm surprised that there would be any noticeable gain from a fan
driven
> > > gnerator.  Any power from the fan would come at the expensive of more
> > > battery energy to the wheels to overcome the increased drag.  One of
those
> > > fundamental laws of physics teaches us something about this, I
believe...
> > > :)  I'm not sure I'd reccommend financing this guy's idea... :)
> > >
> > > Drew

Scotland
> > has
> > fan