Re-Building front end & transmission

Well, what was a small drive flange-oil seal leak last
year has become what will probably be a complete front
end rebuild & possible transmission rebuild.

The car has 140K+ on the clock, and I dont think most
of the bushings, etc. have been replaced since it was
new.  I have all the records since 75K and none of
these items are in there.
The whole front end feels real loose when I drive, and
I get a nice clunking from the passenger side...

Now I want to know, what all should I replace while I
am tearing it all apart?

what is new(ish)
struts
upper strut bearings
left drive axle

So far on my list to replace
wheel bearings
upper control arm bushings
drive flange oil seals
right drive axle

should I replace
control arms
??????  what else?

And on the tranny rebuild
Can I just replace the 1st & 2nd gear synchros, or
should I replace them all?  Can I buy them new or do
they get re-machined?  Is the velocity limited slip
differential kit worth the $$$?
Is a tranny rebuild REALLY precise?  I can muddle
through most repairs (with my 4 different vw repair
manuals).

Thanks

=====
Mark