Re: what the heck is that sound?

I had the same rattling sound, which oddly disappeared after I changed my
rear tranny mount.  Who knew? *shrug*

On that note, and in respect to someone else's answer referencing this
thread....a word about the VW exhaust system.  The VW exhaust systems are
basically bulletproof (okay, the breaking flex coupling issue is not so
bulletproof) and it would take a lot to damage it, including the catalytic
converter.  Like someone said, tap the cat to make sure you don't hear a
"ball bearing" noise coming from it.   But then again, this happened to me
and before I ordered a new cat, I took it to an exhaust shop and the fellow
there cut a small hole in the grate covering my cat and a small stone popped
out--no more rattling.

Okay...I'm done.

Steph