Re: Alternator Questions

I would check the state of your existing wiring before replacing the
alternator - the wires from the alternator to the starter get very corroded
& brittle so maybe replacing them would do the trick. I did it a few weeks
ago and it made quite a difference, and only cost a couple of pounds (<$5)
to buy the bits & make it up. Don't buy the OEM part as it is a rip-off -
get an auto/electrical shop to make one up or DIY.  Also, check the
alternator brushes as if they are too worn, it won't charge properly.  It's
quite possible that the battery might be dud as even one which is well past
being able to turn the engine will run your radio & power mirrors just
dandy.

If you are going for a replacement alternator, you'd be as well going for a
90A version - you'll find a fair selection of audis had them.  Depending on
what alternator you get, you may have to change the wiring from the
alternator to the starter - earlier MKIIs had twin spade contacts for the
main feed whereas the 90A ( and maybe all later MKIIs?) have a single
bolt-on connector for the main feed.

Ewan Hopkins...

'85 Storm 2.0
'86 GT 1.8