[Sciroccos] Be Nice To The Newbie

Hi,
I signed on to the Scirocco mailing list about 3 days ago when I stumbled
onto a deal for an '80 M&M green Scirocco.  It's painfully stock, apart
from the Kamei air dam, and in need of a healthy dose of TLC, but I got
it realllllly cheap.  I took it out and thrashed it a little on a twisty
country road this evening, and that's about the most fun I've had with my
clothes on in as long as I can remember.
It's still sporting the original 1.6L engine, but it came with a 1.8L JH
in a box, fresh from the machine shop, with new pistons, rings, bearings,
etc. I have my work cut out for me.  I don't have any real fears about
putting it back together (I made my living as a mechanic for a while,...
I've even got an old AMI boring bar out in the garage) but I'm curious
what I can do to build a potent JH that my wife could still enjoy
driving.  (ie, I'm not trying to build an autox-er, just a "healthy"
daily driver.)  Recommendations??
I have to admit that I am a bit apprehensive about making my first post,
'cuz in the short time I've been lurking I have observed that there are a
lot of folks with strong opinions out there.  So you all just let me have
it, and then tell me what's wrong with what the other guy's (or gal's)
opinion, then I'll try to sort it out.  Now I'll run my spell checker so
you won't tease me about my spelling,... some of y'all show no mercy!!

-kevin in Texas (could you tell?)
'80 Scirocco (new project/toy)
'82 Rabbit Pick-up (gas,... also a project)
'82 Rabbit Pick-up (diesel, old faithful, 475,000 miles and still
knocking)