RE: Re: Power Steering for Mk1

Sorry for jumping in late on this thread, but I've got like ZERO time at
work to check email.

Anyway, I've thought of this and studied the diagrams in Bentley that
shows how the power steering works.
The way it looks to me is that when you turn the wheel, PS fluid pressure
is diverted to the appropriate side of the rack. The increased pressure
on that side pushes against a "divider" and so the pressure assists in
the turning of the wheel.

This is why when the pump is dead, steering is difficult, you are now
forcing all that fluid through those tiny lines.

If the "divider" was removed (i.e. cut out and hacked into tiny pieces)
and there was no fluid in there, then I don't see why there would be a
whole bunch of extra work needed to turn the wheels.

But that was reserved for a future project until I found a used quaife
rack for a decent price.

Let me know if you want to try that Randy, I'd be happy to do some
exploratory surgery on a power steering rack with you.

HTH
Jonas
85 Scirocco 2.0