Re: HELP:Car revs to 5500RPM then dies

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000 01:42:59 -0500 thescirocco@juno.com writes:

>> Does it cut off in a way that it feels like the ignition switch is
>> simply being turned off?
>Yes. -SNIP-
>I'm going to swap the coil tomorrow, that's quick and easy enough.

This makes me suspect the coil. Fuel starvation can have a chugging
associated with it, even with our high pressure FI systems. Still, the FI
system is so precise that it could be doing as I described earlier. Hmm.
Change the coil should point a solid finger on the problem. Its either
gonna go away, or its gonna be the same.

>I discovered a bad off idle switch today, $70 new or $30 used, sheesh.
>Instead, I installed one of my 16V throttle bodies, w/working switches
>and a 16V Scirocco accelerator cable. A little involved, but I saved
>$30 and now I can sell this large throttle body w/WOT and cruise for
>$50. After doing this little conversion, I got very hopeful thinking
>that was the problem, until I hit 5500rpm again.

Why not just swap the switches over? Couple screws, click and wallah??

>Do '84 Sciroccos have a rev limiter, if so where is it located, in the
>fuel pump relay?

Nope. Not unless you swapped in the CIS-E box as well. (Which I dont
think you did.) Even if it did have a rev limiter, 5500 rpm's is too low
for it to activate. Factory numbers is 6250 rpms but my GLi doesnt start
limiting until almost 6800.

Another possability is the fuel pump relay and/or the KS box. Whats teh
timming set to? Fuel Octane used? Im not sure why I think this yet, its
mighty early, my eye still stings from last nights peper ordeal and I
havent got a cup of coffe in me yet. Ill think on it while im at work
today.

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi   82' Scirocco GTi   81' "Project Scirocco FSP"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and