Re: HELP:Car revs to 5500RPM then dies

On Tue, 07 Mar 2000 23:20:16 EST Shawn C Meze <skerocdriver@juno.com>
writes:
> >It has a spliced in '86 GLi knock box and harness.
> >It acts like it is hitting a rev limiter, after it cuts off it
> comes right back to life.
> >If it was fuel stavation, wouldn't it bog or hesistate instead?
> >
> >Thanks for any input.
>

> That still sounds like fuel starvation. A mild case since it will
> run up to 5K. Fuel starvation has always felt like it just runs out
> of go. It sounds like (Its damn hard to diagnose a car without
> seeing/hearing what it's doing) the fuel pump is weak and simply
> cant supply fuel for RPM's over 5K. Once you exceed that, it takes a
> second for the fuel pump to "catch" up and supply fuel again. Its
> just a guess.
>
> Got a fuel pressure gauge you can hook up?
Not yet...
The fuel pump is making noise though...

> Does it cut off in a way that it feels like the ignition switch is
> simply being turned off?
Yes.

> When it runs again, are you rolling or has been off long enough to
> require that you completely stop to restart the car?
It fires right up again as I'm briefly coasting.

> Does it ever rev higher than a set RPM or does it, as an example,
> always cut out at 5500 rpms?
Always at 5500 rpm.

> It definately could be the coil too. Dont overlook that. Check that
> out as well.
I'm going to swap the coil tomorrow, that's quick and easy enough.

I discovered a bad off idle switch today, $70 new or $30 used, sheesh.
Instead, I installed one of my 16V throttle bodies, w/working switches
and a 16V Scirocco accelerator cable. A little involved, but I saved $30
and now I can sell this large throttle body w/WOT and cruise for $50.
After doing this little conversion, I got very hopeful thinking that was
the problem, until I hit 5500rpm again.

Do '84 Sciroccos have a rev limiter, if so where is it located, in the
fuel pump relay?

Thanks Shawn,
Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V,  '84 Scirocco 2.0, '83 GTI
To reply to the Scirocco list click here:
<mailto:thescirocco@juno.com,scirocco-l@scirocco.org>