Re: Radiator Fan Question

--- Benjamin Wood <benwood1@airmail.net> wrote:
> As I live in the Dallas area, I was considering
> forcing my radiator fan to
> run full blast as long as the motor is running to
> keep everything as cool as
> possible.  Is this a bad idea?  Any suggestions for
> what to tap to run the
> fan only when the motor is running? Other issues?

In my opinion, running the radiator fan at all times
is a very bad idea. For one thing, the fan motor will
wear out mucho faster. The VW cooling system is
designed to work without a fan while the car is moving
(air flow). The fan was designed for when the car is
idling or stuck creeping in bumper to bumper traffic.

Many wrongly think that VW cooling systems are
insufficient and need upgrades. The real problem is
usually that the cooling system has been neglected and
one of the components such as the thermostat,
thermoswitch, radiator, or some other component is
bad.

Except for extreme applications, the stock VW cooling
system is more than up to the job (including the
climate in Dallas or Arizona for that matter).

=====
Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco S, 1982 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)