Helping other dubbers...

Well that was fun.

I came back from lunch a bit ago and noticed there was a VW
Fox stranded about a block from where I work.  Didn't think
too much of it until a few minutes later a guy comes
walking in wanting to use the phone.  I asked if he had the
Fox...  yep.

So off we went to see what could be done.  He said it's
been intermittently losing power, stumbling really bad, and
often times would just up and quit.  Started testing things
and determined that his fuel pump was running, and he was
getting spark at least from the coil.  (NEVER EVEN GO TO
WORK WITHOUT YOUR TOOLS - figures I did...)  Checked the
cap and it looked pretty corroded, so I did what I could to
clean it up with the one and only screwdriver I had at my
desk.  Back together, turn the key...   and it started.
Now whether it kept running after he got out of sight is
another question, but...

Also noticed his fuel pump was REALLY noisy and recommended
he get a new one ASAP.  Gave him a couple of phone numbers
(list vendor as well as a local supplier) and told him he
should call them - he'd get the best price for the right
stuff.  Didn't even catch his name...

=====
Daun Yeagley
'80 Scirocco S