Re: Motor mounts and inserts

Jeffrey Lowe wrote:

> My engine, dash, door panels, steering wheel, etc.
> were vibrating like nuts at idle when I bought my car
> in December. So I decided to replace all the motor
> mounts, and put polyurethane inserts in for good
> measure.

> After everything was back together and I started her
> up I was shocked that there was almost no difference
> in the vibration(maybe a 15% improvement). Two
> mechanics that have seen my engine say they think the
> polyurethane inserts are the source of my problem
> because they are too firm.

that's exactly what happened dude...  poly mounts are VERY hard.  they
are for racing or someone that doesn't mind vibration.  they will settle
in a bit after a while.  if you want a nice comprimise between stiffnes
and vibration damping, get the techtonics 16V scirocco mounts!  they are
butter smooth.  but, if you don't feel like spending 100 bucks, i would
recommend just replacing the pass side mount with a rubber one.  that's
the one that transmits most of the vibration.  try that first...

chris
86 16V scirocco