Rear swaybar mk1 Scirocco

Read your post on Scirocco list.  You probably know all this, but 16V
rear bar works great partly because its 24 mm.  OEM was something like 19-20
mm.  Roll bar stiffness varies with the 4th power of the bar diameter.
MOF, long time ago I wrote VW&Porsche magazine about their pandering
recommendation to 16V Scirocco guys to replace rear bar with 25mm
Neuspeed.  Never published, of course.

Another data point:  Drilling through the rear axle beam is a JOB.  BTDT
with my 78 for GMP OEM work alikes.  Need good drill bit and I used lotsa
oil.  I don't know for sure, but the 16V rear beam -may- be different in
good way (beefier?) than earlier.  If your planning on doing anything
with your fuel tank or flexible brake lines, you may consider swapping
axles after you swap stub axles.

Good luck,

-- Brian D./OH
How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all...
Firesign Theatre