Re: Clearcoat answer

StephyGee wrote:

> I didn't think so either.  I know the VW Scirocco's Tornado Red is notorious
> for turning "orange" after a few years.  VW supposedly improved the paint
> with the new VW's, but even as I look at the newer ones, I see the problem
> has a potential to resurface.  I guess the fix would be to get your car
> clearcoated as soon as you purchase it (if it's new), and to get a repaint
> or clear coat added for your used vehicle *shrug*

In all truth, single stage paint (no clear coat type) is actually better
than a two stage paint (base coat, clear coat) for many reasons. All
Scirocco's I thought were single stage enamels. I know for sure all the
16V were. With good maintenance a single stage paint on a car can look
brand new for alot longer than most two stage paints. Keep them waxed
and every few years get them buffed. My old 16V (Tornado Red) had the
original paint and it looked awesome after a good buffing. Just take it
easy with the buffing as eventually you will buff all the paint off. A
two stage paint job you are only taking care of the clear coat. And
inferior clear coats will dull with age and sun and are much harder to
restore. And even worse sometimes the base coat will fade or dull under
the clear and there is nothing you can do about it. I for one prefer a
single stage paint job. If done right with alot of coats and then wet
sanded and buffed, it will look much better than a two stage paint job.
This is from experience. Depending on the color, single stage paint jobs
scuffed and buffed will appear "deeper" than most base/clear systems.
Further more, DON'T spray clear over a single stage enamel. If it looks
faded, buff it. If its too far gone, respray it. One more thing about
two stage vs. single. I have seen alot of clear coats peel. Something
you don't have to worry about with a single stage.

just my two cents
Feenix
80 1.8