[Mk2] Tach at 2k, Noise inside Dist, WTF?

Today I was under the hood of Ben's Mark Two 16v (it's all RED
and Shiny!) and the weirdest thing happened. While explaining a
problem he had sometimes with rough running after a cold start
(intermittent mind you) he turned the car off.

It began to make this weird ticking noise we tracked to the
distributor. (The bypass valve was making a humming noise but it
was disconnected and the Dist still made noise).

The tachometer was stuck at 2000 but the motor (and therefore the
16v distributor) was not turning over.

What is this? My thoughts lead to electricity backwash through
the jetronic computer box, and/or voltage regulator problems back
of the dash. Anybody else have this? I'm not gonna get one of
these if they get haunted like that.

TBerk
My Bentley only runs up to 1984.