Re: Power Steering for Mk1

I'd have to concur with Mark here.  Power steering on the A1 platform is a
useless luxury unless you've only got the use of one arm.  It's also a
real PITA to work on or around.

On the A2 platform (of which Shawn's GLI is one) I still maintain that
power steering is a useless luxury and it's still a PITA to work on or
around.  I've had two A2 platforms without power steering, and removed it
from a third, and am about to remove it (along with air con) from a forth.
Although 14 inch tires mean a bit more steering effort in parking
manoevres, my 5 foot tall lightweight (I'm not printing her weight here,
but I can lift her no probs and I'm a 160 lb weakling) wife has never
complained in any of the A2 cars (92 Golf, 85 Golf, 85 Jetta.)

Now the A3 platform, where power assist comes standard, is a different
story.  These heavy pigs would probably require steering clutches to get
around the parking spaces if they didn't have PS... :)

Note that the steering effort required to steer with a non-functioning
power assist car is greater than a non-power assist car, because of the
tighter steering ratio, for one thing (this is the point Shawn was trying
to make - although I exepct the effort would be less on a MKI than it
would be on an A2 Jetta...)

Drew  (many VW's, and still hating power steering)

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, Mark Peele wrote:

> > You could. Its one hell of a tough time parking the
> > beast. (I ran my GLi
> > without P/S for 2 weeks when I broke the resivour
> > last year.) Ive seen
> > your arms, I dont think you got enough meat to
> > manhandle it without the
> > assist. :)
>
> Although I can't argue that the PS turns faster (this
> is understandably favored by the racers), I think the
> effort required is simply a matter of what you're used
> to. My 110 lb wife (Kristen) has no problems driving
> her non-PS Scirocco. I doubt if her arms qualify as
> "meaty" :-)
>
> Personally, I hate PS on Sciroccos (I don't Autox).
> For me it gets in the way of servicing the car and
> adds another layer of complexity (I'm lazy).
>

> =====
> Mark Peele
> 1981 Scirocco S, 1982 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
> http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
> Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
> Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
> or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)
> or http://www.newdimensions.com/ (TurboTim)

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca