Re: new to list...sorta...

> Well, I'm also planning to buy Shrick 268 cams, but I want to know
> how much difference does it make over the stock cams and how
> much this adjustable cam spocket adds? If you regulate it to
> move your power up in the powerband?

the 268's add incredible power, but only after 4.5k rpm.  below that
they are close to stock, and below 2.5k they are worthless.  but when
you rev it, the power keeps coming and coming all the way to the
redline.  by 6k it feels like you are running nitrous.  in my opinion, i
think the 260's are better for the 1.8 and especially for the 1.6, since
these motors do not have a lot of torque.  i'm planning (one day) to
have a 2.0 liter with this head, so i can deal with the lack of low end
right now.  but there's nothing like revving to 5k, dropping the clutch
and leaving two 50 foot long black streaks on the asphalt!  until i have
to get new tires..

if you get after market cams, especially radical ones like the 268, you
NEED an adj cam sprocket.  i had to fiddle with mine for three days to
get it where i liked it.  advancing it will bring the power peak lower
in the rpms, but the peak power will also be lower.  it won't idle below
1100 rpm very well, either.  i wish i could tell you where it's set at,
but the cam sprocket i got has a bent key, so the timing marks are not
accurate (i got it used for cheap).

chris
86 16V scirocco