Clutch Choices

Ok, whell after changing to a new self adjusting clutch cable, and also
changing the tranny fluid my '87 16v is still shifting very hard at some
points.  Right now in order to keep the geers from grinding every time, the
pedal is set to catch almost all the way out.  This makes it slip really bad
if i wanna get on it.  I was told by a tranny guy that it could be my
pressure plate??  When i bought the car last summer, the p/o told me that he
had replaced the clutch.  I always thought that meant everything but maybee
not.  The worst part about this is that if i still wanna go to waterfest, im
gonna have to do this soon, as i will not trust my rocco on a 5hr trip.  So
what are my options for a new clutch/pp/tb?  I have heard alot of people
talking about Sachs (sp?).  What would this stuff cost me?  How hard is it
and how long does it take to do?  Any special tools needed?  Im gonna try to
get a quote from the local vw repair shop for just the labor if i buy my own
clutch from potterman/adarondack, if its not bad, i may jsut have them do it
for me to save the hassels.

  On a lighter note, i replaced my fuel transfer pump and filter yesterday,
and it seems to solve my sputtering problem at high rpm's or speeds. :)  My
fuel pump still makes the humming sound, but it doesn't sound quite as sick
as it did before.

Jason Arms (Essex, VT)

'87 Scirocco 16v
'64 Sunroof Beetle (livin a new life)