RE: Gas Prices Protest Letter (SUV related)

Im gonna jump in here.

Soapbox Mode ON

These views of SUV's are getting so tiring to read.

Sure I drive a Scirocco....when it's running, and I have a nice 99 Passat
GLX that gets 20MPG as my work car.  But, my wife drives a 99 Suburban.
Yes, it get 10 MPG around town, costs $75 a tank to fill and is like trying
to park a house.  But, it's safe for my wife and kids to be in and
protecting them is of greater concern to me than anything else in life.

There is absolutely no alternative to vehicles that size for some of us.  I
have three kids, drag trailers, camp, ski and fish in backcountry lakes.
Will our tired little Sciroccos do any of that?  You know the answer.

Points like (and I quote here):

> Dan, the SUV people don't understand things like inflation or present
> values, let alone the CPI.  Let's bring it down to their level and talk
> about only dollars and cents.

are naive.

Anyone that buys a $40,000-$50,000 vehicle is very aware of the operational
costs.  Those are major purchases, not taken lightly by those of us with the
means to own them.  I fully understand increases in the CPI, inflation and
present value......and a number of other things that I learned in the
business world that you didn't learn in the classroom.  Look around at the
SUV drivers....you'll see twice as many well kept wives and men in suits
than you will the dirtbags that you seem to associate SUV's with.

The stereo type that you so cherish of the Soccer mom driving with her knees
while talking on the phone and drinking mocha may be true in some places but
look carefully into that SUV before you drive into the median, you will find
that that same woman has 3-5 kids in the vehicle and is doing the same thing
that you are......getting through life the best she can and simply driving
down the road!

So give is a rest will ya.

Soapbox Mode Off

Brian H