Re: GTI vs Rocco Parts.

>I have been thinking... (frightening I know...)
>1)What is the difference between a standard Rocco tranny and a "Close"
>tranny in a GTI. Is it worth the swap?

It's not the ratio between gears really that you'd be after, it's
the final drive ratio.  The 2H & 4K trannys commonly found on 83 & 84
GTI's have a final drive ratio designed to accelerate the car more
quickly at the expense of higher rpms / mph gained in a particular gear.
There's an interactive gear calculator on scirocco.org if you want
to play around with the math.  Those trannys use a bigger 'lever' in
a manner of speaking (and it's all about leverage) to give the engine
an easier time accelerating the car at the expense of higher rpms.
The standard Scirocco common transmissions (9A, 2Y, AGB) have a
final drive of 3.67:1, while the more uncommon 4K has a 3.89:1 and
the 2H has a 3.94:1.

>2)If it is blowing white smoke, could the head gasket (already asked) be Ok,
>but the block cracked?

Head gasket could be shot...do a compression test.  Check for exhaust
smell in the coolent...

>3) will the gear shifter parts fit my car. Namely the main selector shaft?
>($157.00 from the dealer)

Yes it fits, but the bend in the shaft is a little different if I
remember correctly.  I also think you should check with Mike or Mark
before seriously spending any moeny at a local VW dealer.

>I am going to assume that the seats will fit.
>What other parts could I use to renovate my car?

They will fit, but the rear part of the front rabbit/GTI seats
are 'jacked-up' on metal posts.  This makes them too tall for
comfort in a Scirocco with a lower roofline.

later!

==Brett