Re: shift linkages and tranny seals

Just a small addendum - you need the tool to remove
the drive flanges safely.  They are heavily spring
loaded, and I could see a lot of potential pain
involved if you don't use the tool.

Also - if your seals have been leaking for more than a
few weeks(mine leaked for a year b4 I fixed em), you
should clean and re-pack your inner CV joints while
you have them off the car.  The oil will contaminate
the grease, and cause it to be... well, less greasy.

I give the velocity diffy kit a big thumbs up too.  It
isn't quite as easy as it sounds, but definitely
do-able in a day.  Oh yeah - it helps in the corners
too.  Cranking it up to 45 while you slide around a
corner is great fun.  You should've seen the eyes of
the Honduh tailgating me on the way back from
lunch....

Mark

> The seals are not difficult to change.  You need to
> remove the axles and
> drain the transaxle oil.  You remove the two drive
> flanges, then the two old
> seals.  You will need a tool to compress the drive
> flanges back in.  Be
> advised:  if the seals have leaked for a long time,
> dirt will be picked up
> by the oily flange and there will be grooves worn in
> the sealing surface of
> the drive flange.  If that happens, you must replace
> the flange or it will
> trash the new seal and start leaking again.  Flange
> is about $85.00 each,
> new, I think.
>
> To get the tool you need for the flange, just buy a
> Velocity limited slip
> differential kit.  To paraphrase Brett, you get two
> seals and a tool for
> free, or is it a tool and some seals for free?
> Sorry Brett.  Anyway, it'll
> come with the tool and the seals, and these little
> thrust washers that
> reduce the slip in your diff.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Bill

=====
Mark
If you're not paranoid, you're not paying attention.

87 Westfalia Gl
84 Scirocco 8v
http://student.fortlewis.edu/~mwmages/