Re: shift linkages and tranny seals

Jorel,

The shift lever is connected to the transmission through a series of levers
and links.  The linkage is configured to translate the movement of the shift
lever into the proper movement of the gear selector on the side of the
transaxle.  The shift linkage contains many different kinds of joints - some
that hinge, some that slide, some that are ball/socket joints (like a hip
joint).  The wear in the joints happens in the bushings and in the plastic
sockets of two of the links.  As they wear, the movement translations get
sloppy and imprecise.

If you're going to keep this car and even consider doing any work on it, you
must buy a Bentley.  Trust me, you cannot live without one.  I can not
stress this enough.  The manual will show very nice exploded views of the
linkage.  You should be able to replace the bushings in about an hour.  The
kit is about $5.00.  You can buy the links with the bushing kit for about
$35.00.

The seals are not difficult to change.  You need to remove the axles and
drain the transaxle oil.  You remove the two drive flanges, then the two old
seals.  You will need a tool to compress the drive flanges back in.  Be
advised:  if the seals have leaked for a long time, dirt will be picked up
by the oily flange and there will be grooves worn in the sealing surface of
the drive flange.  If that happens, you must replace the flange or it will
trash the new seal and start leaking again.  Flange is about $85.00 each,
new, I think.

To get the tool you need for the flange, just buy a Velocity limited slip
differential kit.  To paraphrase Brett, you get two seals and a tool for
free, or is it a tool and some seals for free?  Sorry Brett.  Anyway, it'll
come with the tool and the seals, and these little thrust washers that
reduce the slip in your diff.

Good luck.

Bill