shift linkages and tranny seals

I've talked about this before. Have been having
problems with my '85 popping out of first gear. All
other gears are good. I am not up on this stuff at
all. I have been told by members of the group that
this is a linkage problem, that they have had this
problem and it went away when they rebuilt their shift
linkages so on and so forth. I have also been told, by
mechanics (many of the blood sucking vareity) that
this could not be the problem because all this is
controled by a cable. Seems to me their wrong?

Anyways the '85 is being looked at by a diagnostics
center just down the road from home. I want to find
out for sure. I don't like the things they are saying
about synchros and all. Meanwhile I found this '82 for
sale. It has been retrofitted with a 16v rear hatch
(false advertisement) and tail lights. It has an '84
GTI motor under the hood  and GTI wheels and has been
dressed up with a Kamei body kit. The body is rough
but not rusty. The problem is that the tranny seal is
leaky. Again I'm not up on that stuff, and that makes
me nervous. I would be interested in merging the two
cars, but not if both are going to have serious tranny
problems. Decisions, decisions.

In short, what I'm asking is: How does the shifter in
these cars hook up to the transmission? Is replacing
the tranny seals a major undertaking requiring an
expensive mechanic bill or special tools should I do
this myself? The problem with doing this myself is I
am currently in the market for a house. I live in an
apartment right now with an underground parking lot.
Not good for working on cars. I can work on my car
inside the warehouse at work, but not for great
periods of time...

TIA

Jorel Jackson
'85 Scirocco