Re: spare tire donut.

According to VW the wheel is still available from them for about $55 new.
The tire you need to get from a tire shop.  Tire Rack and Tires Direct don't
show them on their web sites, but I bet they could them for you.  Also, the
'70' on the size refers sidewall height as a percentage of the treadwidth.
The treadwidth is only 105mm, therefore the sidewall is 70% of that number
which comes to 73.5mm.  Which would roughly be the size of a '40' for a tire
with a 185mm treadwidth.

- Jan Folkson   www.janfolkson.com

'86 16V
'99 Passat 1.8T
'00 Beetle GLX 1.8T

"Only realize the truth...There is no spoon"