Re: non-roc (2.0l block, digifant?)

>From: POTATO! <theforce@invasion.com>

>sorry for the non-roc post, but a friend of mine is considering putting a
>2.0l 8v bottom end in his (automatic) 89 jetta.

So what does your friend want? A fun/fast car that is light and handles
great? A 4-door family sedan with great performance and creature comforts?

Either way, ditch the automatic, and ditch the digifant. My advice would be
to buy the 2.0 bottom end, sell the 89 for much money to someone who will
pay for the auto, and then buy another VW. If 4 doors are needed, may I
suggest the 86 Jetta GLi. Great car, and can be had for cheap. If your
friend just wants balls out fun, get him/her a mk1 scirocco, Rabbit GTi, or
Mk2 Scirocco 8v. Anything with a 1.8 will be a super easy swap, if it has a
1.6 or 1.7 originally you'll need the 1.8 head, and then reroute the coolant
hoses, etc.

The 2.0 bottom end works great with the CIS or CIS-E fuel systems, and the
GLI already have the knock sensing ignition to boot.

If your friend doesn't know how to drive a stick. Teach 'em!! They will love
it.

And to answer your question directly. The 2.0 bottom end should work fine
with the Digifant system. You'll need to sort out the distributor situation
(the 1.8 one won't fit, and the ABA one won't work) but that is only a minor
hassle.