Re: inner tie rod vs. new steering rack

Hi Kevin and the list,

To answer this question you must first ask yourself, "What am I going to
do with this car." If you race you will want different things than if you
are driving it to work on a strait road every day.

I have to say that I don't like power steering on a "street" Scirocco if
the tire size is less than 205 wide. If you have a real small steering wheel
then you may need the power but I don't think you will. I have driven a MK2
with a real small wheel and no power with no trouble and loved it.
Parking is a bit difficult so if I needed to parallel park between two SUV's
every day that were 14 feet apart I would want the power steering for that.
I have driven several cars and this is my recommendation.

MK1: Do not put power steering on it unless you are going to Auto-x it and
run 8 or 9 inch rims. The car drives great if you just put good street tires
on the car.
I run 185 60 14s AVS Yoks on the street and love the way the MK1 drives with
no power
steering. I am putting power on it for Auto-x but the street will now suck.
Auto-x is real difficult with out power steering!! It is needed for racing.
If you put a VR6 in the MK1 you will need the power steering too. The more
HP
you have the more you will want the PS. The wider the tire and the smaller
the
steering wheel the more you will need power steering. The whimper you are
the more you need power steering.

The MK2 is much better to drive without power steering with the stock
steering wheel.
With smaller steering wheels power steering is more needed but you still do
not need
it until you park the car or race it. I can't stand the MK2 16v's soft power
steering.
I get no input from the road. I have wide rims and a smaller Momo wheel and
still want more
road feedback. This car is not raced but it is nice to take long drives in
with one finger
on the steering wheel. This way you can drink a big gulp and drive the
twisties.
I like to have two hands on the wheel! I never drink and drive so it is a
loss on my car.

So if you race you want it and if you street it you don't want it. (IMHO)
You can only drive the car at 50% on the street so you don't need 100% power
steering.
On the track you drive at 100% and you NEED all the power!
Off the soap box.

Doug
87 16v silver Scirocco "GTX"
81 8v red Scirocco "S"