Re: Anyone ever mount a MkI steering wheel on a MkII?

--- John Worden <scirocco@powerlink.net> wrote:
> For those that don't know, my MkI is all MkII 16V under
> the skin, right
> down to the dash and ps.  I like the MkI steering wheels
> though and was
> going to use one, but it turns out it doesn't fit.  The
> shaft daimeter is
> fine and all, ( I even had the wheel on the car before I
> installed the
> interior) but as soon as the dimmer/flasher and wiper
> control stalks went
> on the steering wheel didn't fit.  I'm guessing the MkII
> wheel's base has
> the splines at the base and the MkI's are up a little or
> the base is just
> thicker.  Anyone ever done this?  Can I switch bases?  I
> would compare the
> two, but my MkII wheels are at my sister's, about 1 1/2
> hour away.
>
> Thanks
>
> John Worden

John - something's not fitting together right.  It SHOULD
work - I've got a Mk 1 steering wheel in my 16v, and have
run them in several other mk 2 'roccos over the years.

=====
Daun Yeagley
'80 Scirocco S,
'81 Pickup
'82 Pickup
'85 & '87 Scirocco 8v
'87 & '88 Scirocco 16v
"Never joke, taunt or dangle what might be seen as a challenge in front of the powers that be.  The universe is listening."  -Lane Wallace.