Anyone ever mount a MkI steering wheel on a MkII?

For those that don't know, my MkI is all MkII 16V under the skin, right
down to the dash and ps.  I like the MkI steering wheels though and was
going to use one, but it turns out it doesn't fit.  The shaft daimeter is
fine and all, ( I even had the wheel on the car before I installed the
interior) but as soon as the dimmer/flasher and wiper control stalks went
on the steering wheel didn't fit.  I'm guessing the MkII wheel's base has
the splines at the base and the MkI's are up a little or the base is just
thicker.  Anyone ever done this?  Can I switch bases?  I would compare the
two, but my MkII wheels are at my sister's, about 1 1/2 hour away.

Thanks

John Worden
Wayne, Maine
ICQ 1527476
'81 MkI w/2.0 16V (waiting for the spring)
'86 MkII 8V  (also waiting for the spring)
'98 Dodge Dakota 4x4
Later this year:
'75 wife and her
'98 Neon R/T