Clutch machining noise

After I took my car out of storage this year, when I depressed the clutch
it made a whining/metal machining type noise.  I also noticed increased
pedal free play.  I tightened up the cable, which helped full engagement
and free play.  And when the car warmed up, the noise mostly went away.
Since I have come back from Cincy, the car has not left the garage so it's
been sitting a while.  I started it up today to (literally) blow the
cobwebs off of it, and when I depressed the clutch pedal, the machining
noise was back with a vengeance.  It seemed to change a bit (lessen) as
the car warmed up but never went away.  The machining noise frequency
increased with RPM while the clutch was depressed, and the intensity
level (severity) of the noise increased the further I pushed the
clutch pedal.  It makes the noise as soon as the free play is taken
up and the slightest pressure is applied where resistance is _just_
beginning.

Here's what I did and what I think:

I pulled the 5th gear end cap, and pulled the pushrod.  The pressure plate
end is very FLAT and somewhat more pointed then the other.  From memory
of other pushrods, both ends are supposed to look similar...these ends are
quite different from eachother.  I have a Sachs sport pressure plate and
HD 2L clutch, so my engagement effort is rather high...so the flatening
of that end I can understand somewhat...but the slight pointedness? Hmmm.
I'll take some pictures of each end and post the URLs if required.

I also inspected the pushrod end bearing (in the 5th gear housing)
and it rattles when I shake it...sounds blown.  This is probably my
noise...and takers on that bet?

Thoughts on this?

I've copied in a few people that might not be on the mailing list in
real time because they might have some direct experience with this one...
thanks for any input guys.

==Brett