Re: And the result....

Well, if you linux up all the timing marks (the one on the cam sprocket,
the one on the intermediate shaft pulley and the one on the crankshaft
pulley or the flywheel), then you SHOULD be all set. I've seen some screwy
things, though. Seems like something like that happens EVERY time you go
to start a motor after pulling it apart (don't post a million stories of
perfect success after complete rebuilds... I don't want to hear it
(laugh)). We'll get to see whether this happens to me on Thursday.
	Can you see the cam lobes through the oil fill hole like on early
8v's with no oil baffle? If so, you can see where they're positioned when
the distributor rotor is pointing to cylinder 1's wire - both intake and
exhaust valves should be closed, because the cylinder is about to fire. If
not, you could always just pull the valve cover off and look as a last
resort, then make sure that when you turn the motor over forwards (don't
ask me which way that is, turn the key with the coil wire disconnected and
find out), the exhaust valves open next time the cylinder comes up.
	-Josiah

'87 GLi
'84 GTi
http://bork.hampshire.edu/josiah