Re: '83 Rabid GTI engine questions

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000 19:35:39 -0400 "Julie Macfarlane"
<juliemac@telenet.net> writes:
> I might pick this up for no good reason. But the engine marked as "H"
> has about 50,000, but blows white smoke from the tail pipe. Apparently,

> it boiled out once, after refilling it blows the smoke. Blown head
> gasket?
Yes, and possibly a warped head.

>(Why does that sound obscene?)
Because your mind is in the gutter... 8^)

> Body is in good shape, some rust around the rear window.
> If it is a head gasket, I may just grab it, fix it and sell it.
> I want a '88, mars red with leather interior....

You can pick up GTI's in that condition, that run, for a $1000, or less.

Whether this GTI is a good deal, depends on how much they are asking.
I wouldn't pay more than $500...

My '83 GTI needed a transaxle and a battery, and I paid $300.
It was completely stock, except for the 5 point harness (Ouch!),
and a full rollcage.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI
'84 Scirocco, '80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V