Anyone have any experience with a bad oil pump?

Hi everyone,   I am almost done with the MkI and on friday took it for a
little drive up the road.  I came back quick though because the lifters
were tapping like hell.  When I looked under the oil cap everything was
dry.  Now when I put it all together last summer the oil pump's gears were
ok(I did check them with a feeler guage).  I guess the I know the answer is
the pump is still shot, but am just hoping maybe someone knows of something
else it could be rather than buying a new pump(wishful thinking-I know).
The engine in question is a 2.0 16V.   Everything else by the way is going
great; everything  in the engine compartment is together except for one
wire harness.

John Worden
Wayne, Maine
ICQ 1527476
'81 MkI w/2.0 16V (waiting for the spring)
'86 MkII 8V  (also waiting for the spring)
'98 Dodge Dakota 4x4
Later this year:
'75 wife and her
'98 Neon R/T