Re: 5th gear install

Jeffrey Lowe wrote:

> How difficult is it to install? About how long does it
> take to do?

I've never done the job but it ain' rocket science. It'll take an
experienced wrench a couple of hours (if that), maybe?

> Also, does anybody know what different ratios they
> come in? And,who has the best price on this mod?

You're looking at .81, .75, or .71. The .81 comes from an A3 Golf or
Jetta 2.0l 8v transmission. There is a litte bit of futzing around
required, but it'll work. I'm sure that this gear costs a bit more than
the .7x. The .75 and .71 are very common as almost every wide ratio
transmission has one or the other. I'd go with a .75 unless you've got
either massive power or you can deal with a huge decrease in torque. A
.71 on a 6-speed could be okay, though...

As for where to get it, your best source for transmission stuff is from
Stu Brumer at BSI racing. He's a road racer -not a California
tuner-type. Here's his URL: <http://www.bsiracing.com>
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut