Re: New 16v Key! FREE retumbling

There is a guy on the Vanagon list that is a locksmith
and knows all the ins & outs of VW locks.

http://www.steveslockshop.com

Talk to him - he does good work, and has been known to
repaint your handles for you when you send them to
him...

Mark
--- Scott Richardson <srr4582@home.com> wrote:
> Wow, this post was a Godsend. When I got my car it
> had 2 keys and 4
> different locks (ignition counting as a lock). Now
> thanks to you I have
> 1 key to open all 4. Thanks again for your wisdom.
>
> Scott Richardson
> '86 8V Scirocco
>
> XXSpArCoXx@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > In a message dated 6/14/00 8:34:57 PM Eastern
> Daylight Time,
> > redbug64@hotmail.com writes:
> >
> > << Whell at some point in the cars life, somone
> changed the door and hatch
> >  locks so i have a really stupid all steel key for
> the doors.  I know that i
> >  can have the doors retoumbled to match the new
> ignition key, but i don't
> >  know how expencive it will be.  anyone ever had
> this done?
> >   >>

> >     OK you can have it done for free! If you own a
> file that is. The tumblers
> > in VW's are pretty crappy really. They got the job
> done but they are very
> > easy to modify.
> >
> > OK with your doors, remove the handles.
> >
> > When you have the Handles out get a Philips head
> screw driver.
> >
> > Now stick the OLD Key in the tumbler.
> >
> > Unscrew the all shaped thing from the back of the
> tumbler.
> >
> > The tumbler and key should slide out of the
> handle. If now give it a good
> > whack or jiggle.
> >
> > Now you see all these little brass things on the
> tumbler.
> >
> > Put your fingers overthem, so they don't fall out
> when you take the key out,
> > now slide the old key out.
> >
> > Slide the NEW 16V key in now, it will fit in no
> problem since the tumbler is
> > out of the handle.
> >
> > Now take your trusty file and start filing away at
> the brass pieces.
> >
> > Make them flat with the rest of the tumbler
> cylinder.
> >
> > If you want you can put pressure on them so you
> can make the brass flush.
> >
> > This might take a few tries.
> >
> > Keep on doing this until the tumbler turns freely
> when in the handle.
> >
> > Now put the tumbler back in and screw in the L
> shaped piece, and reinstall
> > the handle.
> >
> > Bam your done.
> >
> > now do it to the other door and rear hatch piece
> as well.
> >
> > Than you can go tell the stealer ship to bugger
> off.
> >
> > Thats how I redid mine and they haven't failed
> yet. Oh yes through some
> > lithium or bearing grease on them while you have
> them out.
> >
> > OK I hope that helped.
> > Later
> > ~Danny~
> >
> > --
> > Email problems to: scirocco-l-probs@scirocco.org
> To unsubscibe send
> majordomo@scirocco.org
>
> --
> [...]

=====
Mark
If you're not paranoid, you're not paying attention.

87 Westfalia Gl
84 Scirocco 8v
http://student.fortlewis.edu/~mwmages/