Transmission Problem FYI

Hi,
I had a problem getting into second and fourth gear - I couldn't get them in, period. So I sent out an email on my local email list for VW of Toronto.  This is the reply I got, and this is exactly what the problems was!
Cheap fix.
Oliver 88Scirocco8V Slegato

This sounds like a familiar problem VW's have and if
it is, it's simple to diagnose and fix yourself. Check
behind the engine on the exhaust manifold and you
should see a hose that goes from the manifold to the
airbox. Where it attaches to the manifold that shield
sometimes rusts and falls down on to the shift
selector stopping you from going into 2nd and 4th
particularly. If you see it hanging down just rip it
off. Hope this helps.

nigel
80 gti