Re: intank fuel punp

>From: Mark Hausler <mk1scirocco@yahoo.com>

>what are the symptoms of a faulty transfer pump? This
>is on my '86 GTI and the main fuel pump whines like a
>banshee almost all the time and was wondering if it is
>trying to take up the slack of the other pump.

Could be. A while back I had a problem with my 85 'rocco. It would stall
unexpectedly and just prior to stalling, I'd hear the main pump kinda
"groan". I replaced the transfer pump, and the symptoms have not returned.
This was a year ago.

Bentley describes tests to check the transfer pump, but you can't be afraid
of playing around fuel if you want to try them. :-)

BTW, they are very easy to replace.

Jonas
85 Scirocco 2.0
78 Scirocco 1.8