Re: Brake question A2 style hubs? bear with my thoughts.

>So this would mean it *IS* possible to use A2 hubs on an A1........
>if the wheel bearings are different, couldn't you just press in a set of
>A1 bearings?

Actually I dont think the OD is the same. I think the OD is larger on the
A2's. It wouldnt matter anyway cause even if you use A2 housings the wheel
bolt pattern is still the same as an A1. Oh yeah, and you WILL have to
change outer C.V. joints for the axles to accept the A2 housings.

I'm sure the OD is the same, just different ID. IF that
>isn't the case im sure I could come up with something. Lowered
>A1's suffer from bump steer, and running A2 hubs with the lower
>mounting point of the tie rod end would kind of make up for this
>since when the suspension compresses the tie rods wouldn't be
>going up as far and pushing the rack.
I think I am thinking right,
>Scott Williams help me out here, if this works I've found a solution
>to one of the few things I hate about the A1 chassis. I'm not sure
>about the strut mounting points... would that just mean the A1 now
>has fixed camber ALA A2, and you could run A1 upper strut
>bearings?

No it wouldnt be fixed. It would still be adjustable. But, it has come to my
attention that the bolt pattern is different for the lower strut mounting
bolts. Even A2's have adjustable camber. The dealer sells a bolts with a
thinner shank for more adjustment. No eccentric though. Its a push thing :)

But would that throw the caster off, since the A2 strut
>housing seems different?

No it wouldnt 'cause the strut mounting point is still in the same location
with respect to an A1

  Anyone feel like donating some A2 hubs
>for an expiriment?

Not really but I might be able to mock something up and share what I find

>On 11 Jun 2000, at 14:52, Chris DeLong wrote:
>

> > Wouldnt you have to install/hack new (larger) ball joints into the
>control
> > arms to take up the slack for the larger hole in the G60 hubs? And will
>the
> > struts mount up to the same bolt pattern on the hub?
> >

> > >Yup, thats all you need, if you were to find the G60 hubs, then you
>could
> > >mount those, and you wouldn't need to get the brackets, but i think its
> > >good way to go with just the brackets, unless you already know a cheap
> > >source for hubs.
> > >
> > >  HTH
> > >
> > >Owen
> > >87 Scirocco 2.0L 16v #38 C-Modified.