problem with 87 16v

I started driving my car (87 Scirocco 16v) after replacing the air filter,
and it started to run really really bad.   It was back firing a lot, and the
relay for the fuel pump started clicking a lot and it got hot.  My idle got
real bouncy and the car was bucking and gasping for life.  It stalled several
times.  It wasn't really firing either because I was pumping the gas and all
it was doing was poping and backfiring.  Any suggestions where to start and
what to do??  Thanks alot

Ryan